Sunday, March 27, 2011

Kara's Cupcakes Review

I recently discovered on a trip back home to California that there is a Kara's Cupcakes located only ten minutes away from my house in Walnut Creek, CA!

The first Kara's was founded in San Francisco by executive pastry chef Kara Lind, whose cupcake empire has now grown to six stores across the bay area. The Walnut Creek store is fairly new, but I was so impressed by the simple, yet chic, atmosphere.



I went with my mom on a weekday for some shopping and browsing and we decided to stop in and get some breakfast cupcakes. We both opted for the filled cupcakes for $3.25 which have an awesome filling inside.I tried the Banana Caramel, which is a filled cupcake with a caramel filling, and a silky cream cheese frosting. It was amazing and reminded me of a sweet banana cake, similar to a carrot cake.

My mom tried the filled Fleur de Sel cupcake, a chocolate cupcake with caramel filling, and ganache frosting topped with Fleur de Sel. Hers was equally delicious, but I personally preferred the spices in the Banana Caramel. Cupcakes and coffee, a perfect way to start out the day. Service was wonderful and we even went back after we had shopped a bit to take one home for my dad. They even have cute little mini cupcakes, which are just smaller versions of all of their regular cupcakes.

I will definitely be back this summer to try the Raspberry Dazzle (a chocolate cupcake with raspberry cream filling) the Passion Fruit (vanilla cupcake with passion fruit) and probably the Java and Kara's Karrot cupcakes.


Photo taken from Amuse Bouche blog

Kara's also makes full size cakes and there are gluten free versions of the Sweet Vanilla, Chocolate Velvet, and Coconut cupcakes. You should definitely travel to the nearest Kara's if you live in the bay area. You will not be disappointed and will be treated to a decadent treat of goodness!

Check out their menu here!

-Stephanie, WWT

No comments:

Post a Comment