Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Gastronomic Delights in Philly



This past Sunday was my big day out in Philly, a city that I've come to know and love these past three years.  I have to confess that my main motivation was not to go to the art museum, like my fellow dorm members, rather, I was seeking out the tastiest treats in Philly, that I hadn't already tried of course.

This whole trip was spurned by my dorm offering a free trip to Philadelphia and back, something which is the best deal for a college student short on cash. To take the R5 train to 30th Street and back costs $10, which won't break the bank, but it does add up.  While the rest of my floormates went straight to the museum, I walked the 30 minutes down Benjamin Franklin Parkway, past the iconic statue of LOVE, and down around City Hall to make my way to Reading Terminal Market, a foodie's paradise.  Located right across from the convention center, it may be hard to spot for someone who has never been there before.  Just look for a) the huge sign that says Reading Terminal Market, b) little hanging whales, cows, and fruits, or c) a huge tunnel. Any of these signs will let you know you're in the right place.

Now I have been to this market many times, but never have I had the pleasure of eating at Herschel's East Side Deli. Let me just say, the experience was heavenly! A review is forthcoming by the way.
From there I went to Macy's, right next to City Hall.  I really wanted to see the flower show there, something that is only in its second year. It lived up to the hype as Macy's was decked out in floral arrangements that made it seem more like a tropical paradise than a huge department store.


After that I decided to take a walk to Rittenhouse Square because of the awesome weather. I was also seeking out a gelateria in the area which I did find. Called Capogiro, this is a chain that has several locations around the city. Even though it was windy and a little chilly out, I couldn't pass up on this delectable Italian treat. (Again, I will post a review and pics soon!)

On my walk back to the market I stopped in an Anthropologie 4 floors high! I didn't buy anything though, in favor of saving my money for my upcoming New York trip! I decided to head into Chinatown, somewhere I had never been before. It is relatively close to the market, off of Arch street.  Anyway, it was fun to pop in and out of some souvenir shops and bakeries, but again, I didn't buy anything, for I knew what treat I wanted to take with me.



So my journey concluded back at Reading Terminal at Termini Bros. This Italian bakery served my the best cannoli I have had to this day, which, I guess isn't really saying much cause I've had very few cannolis in my lifetime. I got a regular ricotta filled shell to go, which surprisingly lasted until later that night without getting soggy at all.

Overall, I have to say my day was filled with walking, eating, and just enjoying the city.  Now, it's back to crunch time, and the crazy mess of the last month of my junior year of college.

Do you have any favorite food spots in Philly? If so, please share!
Also, check out my post from a year ago on Reading Terminal for more reviews!

-Stephanie, WWT

No comments:

Post a Comment