Saturday, January 28, 2012

Franklin Fountain

So... one of the things on my Philadelphia to-do list was to visit Franklin Fountain ice cream shop and I did!! Yesterday... yes I know it was cold and I wasn't even sure they'd be open but they were!!!

Front entrance and menu.


Although I was like the only other person in there besides this couple. Anyway, it was a little hole in the wall and I admit I went down a couple wrong streets having forgottene the address, but quickly found it on the corner of like 2nd and ???

The shop itself is so adorable and transports you back to a soda-shop-esque type establishment.  Their menu is kind of intimidating for the first time, but I decided due to my not overly large appetite to avoid one of their signature sundaes. They are however, most famous for them as they were featured on Man vs. Food for their Mt. Vesuvius sundae that Adam Richman devoured.
Yeah, wasn't gonna happen.


Ben Franklin all decked out for V-Day.


So instead I asked the guys behind the counter what they recommended and the lovely young gentleman told me the the pistachio and cherry vanilla were his favorites.  I sampled the pistachio (with a small silver spoon, not that plastic crap you get at 31 flavors) and it was very yummy, but I wanted a topping too. So I decided to go with 1 scoop (aka like 2 baseballs) of the mint chip with their hot fudge topping. My kind server told me to take a seat anywhere and he would bring it over to me after he was done making it.

1 "scoop" of mint chip with hot fudge topping.


The sundae was fantastic and I almost finished it all, but instead took the leftovers to-go in this awesome little cardboard container.  Cool huh?


To-go container is so cute!!

After my sugar overload, I talked to the guy working there some more and he told me some interesting facts about the shop. It has only been open for like 6 or 7 years, however the building itself is original including the molding on the ceiling (not the fungus lol) as well as the tiles on the floor.

They also have the oldest working soda fountain in America! Pretty cool. Overall, I would definitely come back. If you're with a couple friends, opt for one of their bigger sundaes which go from like $9 - $15 I think.  You can also order by the scoop and add on toppings. For one scoop, one topping mine came out to $6 something. Pretty reasonable for fantastic service and good ice cream.

The oldest working soda fountain!

Since they're a soda shop, they also have shakes, banana splits, sodas, and these things called phosphates which I'll have to try sometime. They also have plenty of flavors, including one called hydrox cookie, which uses the original hydrox cookies which were an early version of an oreo. They also have sugar free and soy ice creams too.

Go check them out! They are open from 12 pm - 12 am (nice!) and their service is fantastic.  You won't be disappointed. 

Stephanie, WWT

No comments:

Post a Comment