Saturday, April 24, 2010

Reading Terminal Market, Philly, PA

A visit to Philadelphia wouldn't be complete without heading over to Reading Terminal Market (pronounced like 'red-ing'). This hodgepodge of eclectic foods will definitely not disappoint. Whether you like sweets, looking for a cheap meal, or just want to shop around for some produce, it is a spot to check out.




I was fortunate enough to get to the market early when it wasn't so hectic. My goal was to try something that terrified me since I first heard about it: scrapple.


This fried slab of unidentifiable pork scraps is a traditional Pennsylvania Dutch meal that is usually served for breakfast. I was lucky enough to try my first scrapple from an authentic Pennsylvania Dutch stand in the market. I have to admit, I liked it! The crunchy outside was a great contrast to the mushy sausage tasting inside and went great with some scrambled eggs.
My best advice is to try things you wouldn't normally try at the market! It can be really overwhelming so try to plan out what you really want to try beforehand. You can check out all of the vendors and get a map of the market at its website:



When I went to visit I tried:
  • Scrapple, eggs, and toast breakfast at the Pennsylvania Dutch stand (try it, seriously)
  • Cherry Vanilla and Raspberry Truffle ice cream at Bassett's Ice Cream (so good on a hot day)
  • Baklava from Kamal's Middle Eastern Specialties (nothing to write home about)
  • Chocolate Chip Walnut cookie from the Famous 4th Street Cookie Company (very good)
  • And, I had to buy some fresh produce at Iovine Brothers Produce (great prices)
I suggest you go early for breakfast when its not too crowded, then hit the town and explore Philly, and come back to experience the mad rush at lunchtime. Be sure to wash your clothes afterwards though. You will notice a variety of strange smells from your visit to the market.

Still sick, but still bloggin,'

-Stephanie, WWT

No comments:

Post a Comment