Friday, July 22, 2011

Foodie Lingo

Ever seen something on the menu in a nice restaurant with a name you can't pronounce that seems exotic and fancy? I always tend to see the same words in dishes that I'd love to make, but never know what exactly they consist of. Sometimes, in certain situations, it is awkward to ask a waiter/waitress the meaning of an ingredient listed in the dish. However, I find that when I do, it can be crucial to my meal decision. It also inspires me to try new things and broaden my culinary pallate. Here's a list that I've compiled of words that I commonly see on menus, and have no clue what they are:


Bearnaise = A classic white-wine sauce flavored with fresh herbs and shallots, thickened with egg yolks and usually finished with tarragon or chervil

Bechamel = Basic milk (white) sauce

Bordelaise = A red or white wine sauce mixed with meat glaze, marrow, lemon juice, finely minced shallots, parsley, ground pepper, thyme, bay leaf, and other fresh herbs


Canape = French for an appetizer prepared and served on toast or crackers
 
Compote = Combination of fresh or cooked fruits. May be served hot or chilled
 
Confit = To slowly cook pieces of meat in their own gently rendered fat



 
Coq Au Vin = A French dish of chicken, mushrooms, onions, and bacon or salt pork cooked in red wine
Pronounced "Coco-VAN"
From French, literally (Chicken in wine)



Coulis = Thick sauce made from pureed vegetables or fruits
Pronounced "Koo-LEE"
From French, Couleis ("To strain)
A vegetable coulis is commonly used on meat and vegetable dishes, and it can also be used as a base for soups or other sauces. Fruit coulis are most often used on desserts. Raspberry coulis, for example, is especially popular with poached apples. From Wikipedia
 
Crudites = Hors d'oeuvres consisting of raw vegetables served with a dipping sauce
 
Demi-Glace/Demi-Glaze = A term meaning "half glaze." This rich brown sauce begins with a basic espagnole sauce and beef stock, and is slowly cooked with Madeira or sherry until it has been reduced by half. The resulting thick glaze should be able to coat the back of a spoon and can be used as the base for many other sauces.

Yeah, I kind of stopped at the D's lol, but don't worry! I will have more parts hopefully! My laptop has been weird lately so I've slowed down my posting considerably. I have some written, but just not published yet. Think of this as a small preview :P

Stephanie, WWT

No comments:

Post a Comment