Saturday, July 30, 2011

Tiramisu Recipe


I thought I'd finally post this recipe for Tiramisu that I absolutely love! I've made it twice now and it has turned our fantastic both times. It is very easy to make, in fact a lot easier than you might think.

Here's the recipe:

Tiramisu
From Inland Empire magazine, January 2010
makes 8 to 10 servings

4 egg yolks

3/4 cup sugar

1 C mascarpone cheese

1 1/2 C whipping cream

2 C strong coffee, cooled

1/2 cup Kahlua (I almost never have Kahlua on hand so I substituted rum flavoring and mixed it with some brewed coffee. I find that it makes the resulting dessert tasty and slightly rum-flavored)

30 - 36 ladyfingers (Usually 2 and 1/2 packages. They can be found in the bakery section of most supermarkets. In Safeway, they're usually in the baskets near the packaged muffins and cookies)

1 bar of chocolate, or chocolate shavings

STEPS:
1. In a double boiler, combine the egg yolks and sugar and beat until mixture is light yellow and has reached 140 degrees F. (I use a bowl over a pot of water. Use a candy thermometer to measure the temperature)

2. Remove mixture from heat and pour into a large bowl.  Whisk in the mascarpone until smooth and let cool for 8 to 10 minutes.

3. In a separate bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream into egg mixture; set aside.

4. Combine the coffee and Kahlua into a small bowl and dip the ladyfingers. Don't oversoak to the point of sogginess. (I usually only ladle enough in a small bowl to dip the surface of the ladyfingers in. Sometimes it can be difficult to grip them if they become too soggy!)

5. In a 12 to 14 inch round or oval dish (I use a rectangular pan), spread a thin layer of cream mixture.  Arrange ladyfingers on a layer of cream, breaking pieces to make a uniform fit. Add another layer of cream, then another layer of ladyfingers. Top with the remaining cream and smooth evenly.

6. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 4 to 8 hours. Before serving dust generously with cocoa powder and top with shaved chocolate curls. (I use a vegetable peeler, on one of those long, thin bars of chocolate. It works great!)


I used the leftover chocolate bar squares to garnish the tiramisu! It's a great way to use it up.

Enjoy it while it lasts! :)

Stephanie, WWT

No comments:

Post a Comment