Thursday, July 28, 2011

Sweet Potato Muffins

My wonderful friend who is probably one of the few people who reads this blog (you know who you are ;) recently sent me some recipes that I have been dying to make. I haven't had time or all the ingredients to get to them all, but I tried this one yesterday and I thought I'd share.

The original recipe (found here) is a little different from mine. I substituted buckwheat flour and a little bit of plain white flour for whole wheat because I didn't have any. If you've ever tasted buckwheat flour, you probably either love it or hate it. I personally don't mind the flavor and think it's kind of hearty, but I know for a fact that my father hates it!

So if you prefer your muffins a little more cakier-tasting and less nutty/grainy I would stick with the whole wheat, or just a plain white flour. If you're not a huge sweet potato fan, bananas would be a great substitute also!



Sweet Potato Muffins
makes 12 regular size muffins
2/3 C mashed sweet potato or yam (1 long potato makes enough for 2/3 of a cup and you'll probably have a little bit left over)

2 C whole wheat flour (I used 1 cup buckwheat flour and 1 cup white flour)

1/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon (I would suggest adding a bit more if you tend to like your muffins spicier)

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1/3 C brown sugar

1/2 C milk (I used fat free for a slightly healthier option!)

2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
If you haven't already done so, start by boiling your peeled and cut sweet potato as this takes about 10-15 minutes. After that's done, mash the potato up - the fun part :)

Combine flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Add sugar, milk and egg. Stir in sweet potato. Combine until smooth.
Fill muffin tins about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes.

My batter was slightly browner/darker because I used the buckwheat flour

Leftover sweet potato


How Sweet It Is gives a recipe for a ginger glaze and you can find it on their website (here) but I actually just prefer mine warm with some butter and maple syrup. Maybe it was because my powdered sugar tasted old and artificial.

Be warned, the muffin itself isn't super sweet so if you are looking for more of a dessert rather than a breakfast muffin I would suggest adding a little more sugar or a sugar substitute like agave syrup. Or just top it with maple syrup and you're good to go!

Finished muffins!


Have any other good recipes? Share them!

Stephanie, WWT

No comments:

Post a Comment